Saturday, October 24, 2009

One of my earliest memories of wildflowers is of a whole hillside covered in wild crocuses or pasque flowers, near Mazomanie, Wisconsin. These paintings were from my memories of a beautiful prarie park on the north side of Calgary, Alberta called Nose Hill Park, which was the only other place I've seen acres of wild pasque flowers blooming. It was a big place; a wild prarie hill area that was covered with pasque flowers in the spring. I walked there year round, day and night. Calgary spread across the prarie to the south but there, a few minutes walk from the city streets the smell of prarie grass and the feel of the wind could be found.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desert Sketchbook

  A handmade accordion book using paper from a Chinese supermarket and Bristol drawing paper. Starting in Kansas, I sketched roadside finds....