Saturday, October 24, 2009

Helena Marsh is a wetland area near the Wisconsin River. My father took us there fishing when I was a child. One day we were about to step out of the boat onto the shore, and almost stepped on a very, very large black snake. We made a very hasty retreat, which I never forgot. The water is deep and cold and some of the area was dug out for building the road and bridge decades ago.

One March morning the light caught the earliest hint of color in the trees; it was a simple scene of muted colors highlighted by the early morning sun. I left my camera on the side of the road after taking a picture and then becoming distracted by some birds. A man fishing there followed me as I drove away, until I stopped and he so kindly returned my camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desert Sketchbook

  A handmade accordion book using paper from a Chinese supermarket and Bristol drawing paper. Starting in Kansas, I sketched roadside finds....