Saturday, October 24, 2009

"Chicken of the Woods" was the first velour painting I've done. An interesting surface to work on, it seems to take pastel and arrange it on itself, almost as if it's moving the dust around after I apply it! The painting was done from a series of photos I took in the woods behind our barn, where an old log had suddenly sprouted dozens of brilliant orange and yellow fungus. The late afternoon sun made the colors intense. I ran to get the camera and got the pictures just as the sun went behind the hill. Later I made several drawings and paintings of these fungus on different papers.
Chicken of the Woods is supposed to be very delicious but they just don't look edible to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Desert Sketchbook

  A handmade accordion book using paper from a Chinese supermarket and Bristol drawing paper. Starting in Kansas, I sketched roadside finds....